These superfood breakfast cookies are the definition of winning. They are dairy-free, sweetener-free, gluten-free, low-carb cookies that are packed with nutrients. Oh, and they are also chocolate peanut butter.
Chocolate peanut butter cookies that you can eat for breakfast? And still feel good about your choices? Winning.
In my pregnancies I came to depend on these cookies, and I mean that literally. I always had a batch of them in the fridge and they were my go-to for snacks or breakfast.
In fact, I would actually take two of the superfood breakfast cookies and make them and make them into a peanut butter sandwich.
What? This girl loves PB.
Also, my kids devour them. So there’s that. If you are looking for a healthy superfood breakfast cookie that you can feed to your littles—or even your big kids—give this recipe a try. (Read Why My Toddler Eats Everything for more healthy eating tips.)
Adaptable Recipe (For the Adventurous Baker)
These superfood breakfast cookies are a very flexible recipe. In fact, in the dozens of times I have made them I have almost never followed instructions. I only started to tweak and keep notes when I realized the recipe was too good to keep to myself.
Occasionally I leave out the chocolate and make them vanilla cranberry. Sometimes I add half a cup of unsweetened applesauce. Once in a while I put in stevia, ground flax, or switch up the superfood powders. Regardless, they have always turned out.
I know—If you want a sexy cookie that looks good on a tea tray, umm, maybe look elsewhere. If you want something flavourful, sustaining, delightful, and full of nutrients then these are the superfood breakfast cookies for you.
Quick note: these cookies are not keto thanks to the bananas and oats. I do know that I was able to use this recipe as part of a healthy low-carb diet when I was gestationally diabetic. Make sure to use your own sense of what functions for your body and your health situation.
Some of the links in the recipe below are affiliate. A purchase through one of these may mean I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
A Quick Note on Hemp Hearts (Hemp Seeds)
If you are unfamiliar with hemp hearts, no need to be wary.
Hemp Hearts are an incredible superfood—they are really, really good for you. You can purchase them on Amazon—I use and trust this Canadian-grown brand. They are legal to consume, and don’t contain THC (Read: won’t make you high).
While researching this article I learned that, until 2018, growing hemp for anything other than research purposes was illegal in the United States. Hence, most hemp products came from Canada. Interesting.
The potential confusion around hemp products is understandable, but just read about the benefits and you’ll soon be convinced. I don’t hesitate to eat hemp hearts for myself, or for my kids.
I love learning about the things that I write about. It’s one of the main reasons I started Growing Wild Roots. So thanks for that rabbit hole.
Now, onto the recipe:
- 3 Ripe Bananas, Mashed
- 1/2 Cup Quick Oats (use gluten free oats if needed.)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour (or additional quick oats if you're not low-carb)
- 1/4 Cup Hemp Seeds (Hemp Hearts)
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Peanut Butter
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 Cup Semi-Sweet or No-Sugar Chocolate Chips
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Collagen Powder (Optional or unflavored collagen)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Cricket Powder (Optional)
- 2 Tbsp Maca Powder (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Wheatgrass Powder (Optional or super greens.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mash the ripe bananas directly into a mixing bowl using a sturdy fork. Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate chips.
- Mix in any superfood powders that you are using, and then stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough onto a greased cookie sheet using a spoon or an ice cream scoop. Flatten them slightly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until cookie batter has set through.
- Enjoy these cookies warm, and store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Enjoy your next quick and healthy breakfast with these superfood breakfast cookies. Tip: They also make excellent peanut butter sandwiches.
Thanks for trying these superfood breakfast cookies!
Please let me know in the comments below if you try these superfood breakfast cookies. I hope they become a favorite for you, as they are in my house! I’d also love if you could leave a rating on the recipe using the stars above.